A short time ago, St John’s Ambulance released a video with key information about what to do if your child is choking. I must admit, I would panic if either of my children was to choke…initially. However watching this video, I would be a little bit calmer. I really need to do a first aid course. I am mad not to of done one beforehand. Absolutely crazy.
This short, memorable video, The Chokeables, features the voices of David Walliams, David Mitchell, Johnny Vegas and Sir John Hurt. It’s key purpose is to show what to do to help a choking baby.
St John Ambulance has revealed that four-fifths of parents (79%) wouldn’t know the correct technique for saving their baby from choking despite it being a major fear (58%) and 40% having witnessed it.
The research also showed that:
- 53% of parents said knowing first aid would help them feel better prepared and less scared
- Of those who said they knew how to save a choking baby, only 29% knew the correct, recommended technique. Nearly three quarters of parents (71%) selected the wrong answer when given multiple choice options.
- 39% of parents think choking is the most important first aid skill to have as a parent
- Of the parents who’d witnessed their baby choke, 77% said their baby choked on food, 14% on vomit, and 9% on toys. Other causes included coins, mucus/phlegm, marbles, and pen lids
So it is a very important video to watch! And has reminded me to book a first aid course!
To find out more visit https://www.sja.org.uk/sja/support-us/our-campaigns/baby-choking-the-chokeables.aspx